Friday, July 12, 2013

Too Funny Me Sharing a Recipe

All that know me know I can cook and do so very tastily.  My Mom has been know for her cooking and baking for years.  I always strived to be like her.   That will just not happen.  The knowledge she has would never fit in my brain.  The stuff like how much baking soda and baking powder to use in anything.



I got this from The Dublin Pub on Facebook  This is real food to me.....I know two starches together but it is comfort food.

The problem is that I do Appalachian cooking as does Mom.  When I met Michael he would cook all of these fancy dishes.  My taste buds were  brought alive and jubilant.  Don't get me wrong I have had all types of food from restaurants I do mean some of the finest dining.  I just didn't cook that way.  When we would the fancy dinners it was Michael that prepared them.  I was the chopper, peeler, etc.

Michael had a massive stroke February 11, 2011.  Since then I have had to do all the cooking.  Laundry too....he did the laundry from the day he moved in....I was so brokenhearted not to do it any more......NOT!!!!  Oh sorry I got off topic.  With all the duties of a caregiver and having an Etsy store and life in general plus my parents were elderly and needed me too.  Cooking was the last thing on my mind.  Ijust threw together food so he wouldn't starve.

Everyday Michael gets on the computer and looks up recipes and I write them down or the aide, Mom whoever is available.  I have never fixed them.

One day during an infomercial he insisted that we order this baking set.  What?  You actually want me to buy these to sit in the cupboard Okay I caved in anything that he wants (yes he is soooooo spoiled).  It ended up that I love this set.  They are pretty too.

This is from Temp-Tations and the set that we received.

Now to the recipes he finds each day.  Being spoiled he insisted that I fix this one recipe that he had Mom write down.  So we had most of the ingredients anyway so why not?  Let's do this and make him happy.

I do not usually take photos of my cooking results however I thought I would try it this time.  Please excuse the lighting as it was a spur of the moment I didn't set up my lighting like I do for Etsy pictures.  Here it is in all of its glory.  It is from Campbell's Soup Recipes  This is how their's looked.

Sante Fe Chicken Saute




I wasn't sure of taking this photo as my skillets are terrible!  We have had the same ones forever.



The recipe follows:

teaspoons chili powder 
teaspoon ground cumin 
tablespoon vegetable oil 
1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 
teaspoon minced garlic 
green onions, minced (about 1/2 cup) 
can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Healthy Request® Condensed Tomato Soup 
1/2 cup Pace® Picante Sauce 
1/2 cup water 
can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained 
cup whole kernel corn 
tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I used cilantro paste)

How to make it
  • Stir the chili powder and cumin in a small bowl.  Season the chicken with the chili powder mixture.
  • Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes or until browned on both sides.  Add the garlic and onions and cook and stir for 1 minute.
  • Stir in the soup, picante sauce and water and heat to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium-low.  Add the beans and corn.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Sprinkle with the cilantro.
It was delicious and now I will make more of his recipes.  I hope you will try and enjoy!



post signature