Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Life as a Caregiver

Raining here and I am so excited it is the first time since we put our metal roof that it has rained.  It isn't like the good ol tin roofs but I can still here it.  So relaxing and I want to go to bed and just listen to the sounds.  Not today....maybe another day.



The day my only child, my son, Dustin died my whole world came to a halt.  I was in a black hole that was sucking the life out of me.  From that day forward I didn't have a normal life, I lived an "abnormal normal" life.



One winter I met the man of my dreams.  Completely.  I wondered why it had taken so long to meet the true man for me.  We did everything together.  He taught me how to live again.  Life was so good.  I still grieved for Dustin but was learning to live through the pain.

February 11, 2011 Michael had got us our second cup of coffee.  We were in the computer room, he was on  his and me on mine.  All of a sudden he sneezed, belched so loud and made a horrible sound.  I asked him, "Are you going make it over there?"  He never answered.  I turn his chair around and then and there I knew he was having a stroke.  It was horrible.  I called 911 and of we went.  I hadn't combed my hair, had a shower, nothing just left.  They med-flighted him to Ohio State Medical Center.  

Since February 11, 2011 my life changed again.  I knew nothing about strokes.  I knew nothing about rehabs.  I learned so much and try to absorb all I could.

He was rehabs until June 23, 2011.  He got to come home and I was so excited.  I, of course, thought I was Super Woman and handle it all by myself.  We now have aides 10 hours a day.  Michael needs help 24/7 and cannot be left alone.

I am on my computer when the aides are here.  I love him and I will keep this up until I can't.  I recently had back surgery and next is shoulder.  At those times we have help around the clock.








July 11, 2011 my Daddy died.  Another change in directions for my life.  My Mom came to live with use because she didn't want to live in the country by herself    She is 83 years old and has more energy than me!  lol  Her and Michael are both perfectionist, I am so much the opposite.  They keep me hopping!  lol

I thank God that I am able to be here for both of them.  I miss going out with friends, going out of state to visit a wonderful and staying with her, and so much more.  God gives me the strength to keep going.

I love life, God and my family!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    My heart is aching for all you have endured over the past few years. Your husband sounds as sweet as can be...and, oh how wonderful it is that your Mom has joined in to help you. I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad.
    Our lives are often challenged by loss and it's so nice knowing that God has us in the palm of His hand and He knows our pain.
    I'm happy to know you and look forward to visiting you again.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've gone through a lot, Nancy. I admire you for keeping strong despite all the hardships. You need to be there for your mom and husband, so just keep that strong spirit. They truly appreciate your love and care toward them. Well, I've checked out your other posts and I can see that everything is going well especially with Michael. Let's all hope for him to get better.

    Taneka Carl

    ReplyDelete